Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Meaning of that funny Squirrel in Ice Age

Comic Relief characters are almost always present in every film that has been created. Writers have probably seen the value in them making the movie more catchy and entertaining to the viewers. Even in books and their movie adaptations, authors and directors has found a way to sneak in a character in the plot that provides laughter to the audience. These characters are often successful in what they do – making the viewers smile. It somehow lessens the seriousness of the whole movie and makes it more entertaining.

One movie in particular contained a comic relief character that was really successful in making this happen. Viewers in the cinema burst out in laughter every time this character comes up and its role never bored anyone. Unlike many comic relief characters, only a few (almost nobody) people know of his name, but I’m pretty sure everyone who was able to see at least one Ice Age film is familiar with him. The creators of the film name him as “Scrat”; he is that funny little “Saber-toothed Squirrel” who often puts his life in danger for the sake of a single acorn that he was never able to eat.

"ACORN!!!" - Scrat the Squirrel
Many viewers see Scrat as a very funny character. He has his own separate storyline from the main plot progressing. It’s a very simple one actually, his story is all about his pursuit to get his acorn to either bury it or carry it around, but fate always finds its way to separate the acorn from his arms. With his determination to take hold of that acorn again, he goes through a lot of dangers and often risks his life for the sake of him being reunited with it again.

For some of you people who have read my previous blog entry regarding mosquitoes (Mosquitoes as Models for Love), you’ve probably realized that I tend to over-think things, thus resulting to weird and sometimes non-sense analysis of ordinary things and instances in life. So you’ve probably guessed what I was able to find out through this harmless little saber-toothed squirrel from a movie. Yes, it is all about love (again). Oh joy.

It never does.
This entry would again be talking about love… but a special kind of love. It’s the love with a capital “L”. So it’s Love, and NOT love (get it?). So going back to the squirrel, many people may or may not consider this analysis as valid, but who cares? I did say that everything in this blog will be about ME and what goes on in my head, didn’t I?

So where am I getting at
with the squirrel thing?
I come to realize in one of my random reflections that Scrat the Squirrel and the acorn can be somehow related to the life of a Christian and the Love of God for humanity.

How?
We are the acorns and God is the squirrel. We often separate ourselves from God and not minding His efforts to reach us all the time. We fall to sin, temptations and bad habits, but God always do His efforts to reach us, just as the Scrat the Squirrel never let go and always reaches for his acorn. Sometimes, we do take refuge to God’s arms and stays there for some time, but oftentimes, we fall back to our old ways and disunite with Him again; and just like the squirrel, He comes for us again… and again… and again. This is how the Love of God works. He Loves us so much that He is willing to sacrifice anything to get us back. Hence, the Mystery of Incarnation.

I don’t want to get too theological on this entry, but I just want to make my point and realization across that a valid analogy exist within the acorn and Scrat the squirrel. Again, we are acorns, frequently separating from God, and God, with all his might, would be willing to exert every effort to get us back.

The question lies: are we doing OUR own efforts to get back to Him? Or are we just going to fall to our old and sinful ways, separated from Him and no effort to get back just like an acorn?

It’s your choice… be human, or be an acorn.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rodrigo, i don't know where you are or what you are going through, but I just wanted to send you some encouragement and let you know that God not only loves you but He sees you. Why do I know this?

    He led me to your post (which was really a blessing to me). I am one for analogies especially GREAT ones, and this my friend was a great one that brought it home!

    But moving on... I had a vision of an acorn. Very random I know, but it came strong enough for me to know it wasnt a coincidence. The only reference I could think of was Scrat (thanks for his name) and his beloved acorn. But i didnt know what God was saying to me, so I just left it alone.
    The next day (today), i was reading John 3 and trying to study deeply verses 13-16 I had the vision of the acorn again.

    So this time I typed into google "why does the squirrel from Ice Age like the acorn so much". Your blog was one of the top ones but not the first one, yet i just decided to click on yours cause the title drew me in. The truth was that I didnt know that this would have anything to do with God. I was just searching and hoping to find some information, but to my pleasent surprise it was eveything about God and confirming exactly what I was reading!!!!

    I want to say thank you for not being afraid to share what you may think are crazy thoughts, but are really great blessings that are and will change peoples lives. Most importantly the fact that God would bring me to your website without me playing any part in it confirms to me that He not only loves you but He SEES you and knows you by your name (crazy thoughts) lol.

    Stay strong in Christ my brother and if we never meet on this side, I pray we may be able to meet in heaven where God can finally have all of His acorns:).

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh... Interpretation. When the writers came up with the concept of scrat they probably didn't intend to have scrat be an analogy to God because they are depicting scrat as a tiny little squirrel who could somehow win our sympathy even though he was destroying the world and setting up the plot for the main characters.
    Also first commenter what kind of God would allow so much hatred and bigotry to go on in the world without sending a second Christ to try and rectify it. God is a concept created by humans so that we can feel like a presence greater than ourselves gives a crap about our existence and when we die. And please don't tell me that your Christian or any variation because that is the worst religion you can be at least other religions like Budhists and even Scientoligists don't try to force people into buying into their beliefs.
    If you were wondering this isn't a speech based off of ignorance (I was raised catholic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. But that's were your ignorance started from brother.The Catholic Church destroyed Christianity from the inside out. With the Babylonian traditions most Christians ignorantly continue to follow. Starting with Sunday worship.

      Delete
    2. I just found this post because I was thinking maybe that squirrel represents the next generation and how hard they will have to work hard to find their food and feed themselves. :)

      Delete